Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: JRSC installed on a Prelude

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Yup. I called a buddy to see about having him install an LSD and he turned right around and asked for help with the Prelude he just installed a JRSC in.

    I didn't know they were released yet, but apparently the car's owner got one of the first kits.

    I'll have pictures tomorrow night.

    The install went well, but it idles really rough. Any tips on where to look on a Prelude for vacuum leaks?

    Would a mis-wired BTC cause rough idle? (Low too, below 500RPM).

    Thanks.

    ------------------
    Greg Holden
    96 GSR, JSRC @6psi, AEM CAI/RSR 4-2-1/Greddy PE, Cartech 20005/Walbro GSS-342/TPS Mod, JR BTC, KYB AGX/H&R OE Sport/ST 19mm Rear Swaybar
    Best 1/4 ==> 13.937 @ 101.41mph
    My JRSC Install Site

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Tom Civic's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2000
    Posts
    475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice. Let me know how it turns out.

    ------------------
    Houston, TX
    1999 FBP Civic EX auto SUPERCHARGED Performance: Jackson Racing Supercharger w/fuel pump
    Air Intake w/ Hiper Filter, Heat Shield Thermal Research & Development Cat-Back Exhaust, Accel Thundersport +300 Plug wires, Nuespeed Sport Springs, APC Rear Strut Tower Bar, APC Breather Filter, VTEC Light
    www.geocities.com/tom_civic99

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's problem is a low idle, so I'll advise im to check the IAC wiring.

    I'm bringing my digicam tonight when I go see it. Unless the owner is an asshole I'll have pics galore.

    Greg

  4. #4
    MTRS the 1st
    Guest MTRS the 1st's Avatar

    Post

    Interesting...... Tell your buddy the FI WORLD wants to hear of his supercharger adventure! Man I am dyin to know what he'll dyno at.

    Mac

    [This message has been edited by MTRS the 1st (edited April 03, 2001).]

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Check the idle air control valve (IACV)... if unplugged or damaged, this would idle at around 480 rpm.

    I am about to install my first Prelude kit as well... too bad it is NOT on my RACE CAR !!!

    Jim


    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Import Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2000
    Posts
    79
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    I'd suspect the IACV also...
    Remember a vacumm leak in an injected car will cause a higher than normal, sometimes erratic idle...

    While a non-energized IACV will cause a very low base idle (mechanical adjustment purposes)...

    That should trip a CEL though...

    Prelude SC huh...
    W / pics. to follow ?... cool

    ------------------
    Donny
    Import Specialty Automotive
    (253) 473-2606

  7. #7
    Inactive Member stealthex's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 17th, 2000
    Posts
    131
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Maybe it's a leak at the intake manifold gasket. My JRSC was installed without the gasket and it idled around 250-450 rpm.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just back from seeing it. Now it doesn't start even!

    Here's the scoop:

    - I'll post pictures later.

    - Car is throwing codes for MAP, TPS and IAT sensors. Too high for TPS and IAT and too low for MAP.

    - The TPS and MAP sensors are definitely plugged into the right thing. I verified voltages. The wiring to the TPS is also verified good because of this (ground, +5V, and a sender wire that we checked for shorts).

    - I couldn't even find the IAT sensor. You thought the GSR install was tight? Hah!

    - It's not the manifold gasket because the manifold doesn't get removed. The blower takes the place of the stock plenum and sits right on the stock manifold. Well, actually there's a JR piece that goes between to smooth the airflow into the 8 runners. The stock butterfly valve and it's housing are removed.

    - There is a mystery vacuum hose that originates (I didn't see this myself) on a solenoid thingy down on the block near the oil filter. We don't know where this goes. The owner of the car was removing things before the kit arrived (oh joy!).

    - The Prelude kit comes with a "super-BTC" thing (I forget the exact name). It intercepts the TPS, MAP and Crank position signals on the way to the ECU and the ignition trigger on the way back to the engine.

    We think this is the main culprit. Actually, we think it's dead now.

    The engine would idle at 250rpm and be super rich. The plugs were very fouled. My friend said when it was running, if you opened the throttle, it would bog or die.

    We checked the TPS voltage coming out of the JR unit and it was stuck at +9 volts regardless of throttle position.

    I asked if he was sure he was still getting spark, so we checked and he is not getting spark anymore.

    I recommended that he remove the JR unit and get everything else straightened out first.

    Any comments from the crowd?

    Thanks,

    ------------------
    Greg Holden
    96 GSR, JSRC @6psi, AEM CAI/RSR 4-2-1/Greddy PE, Cartech 20005/Walbro GSS-342/TPS Mod, JR BTC, KYB AGX/H&R OE Sport/ST 19mm Rear Swaybar
    Best 1/4 ==> 13.937 @ 101.41mph
    My JRSC Install Site

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    pics.

    prelude1
    prelude2
    prelude3
    prelude4
    prelude5
    prelude6
    prelude7
    prelude8
    prelude9
    prelude10
    prelude11
    prelude12
    prelude13
    prelude14


    [This message has been edited by Holden (edited April 03, 2001).]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member zip's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 1999
    Posts
    1,160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Zesty!

    Great pics Greg. Is that prelude management system just a relabeled BTC? BTW, any picts on how the intake manifold is set up?

    ------------------
    Mods

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •